Proposed SK Reform Bill of 2007
AN ACT TO STRENGTHEN AND REFORM THE SANGGUNIANG KABATAAN, AMENDING FOR THE PURPOSE REPUBLIC ACT NUMBERED 7160, OTHERWISE KNOWN AS THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT CODE OF 1991, APPROPRIATING FUNDS THEREFOR AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES
Section X. Short Title: This act shall be known and cited as the SK Reform Bill
Section X. Declaration of Policy:
Definition of Terms
Section X. Definition of Terms:
Kabataang Barangay - refers to the youth in every barangay who are members of the Katipunan ng Kabataan
Katipunan ng Kabataan – refers to the organization of all Kabataang Barangay
Sangguniang Kabataan – refers to the elected officers of the Katipunan ng Kabataan
SK Federation – refers to the league of Sangguniang Kabataan officials and officers
KK Assembly – refers to the duly constituted assembly of Kabataang Barangay
Purposes and Objectives
Section X. Objectives and Purposes: The purposes and objectives of this Act are:
- To establish Katipunan ng Kabataan as the mainstream government-sponsored organization for the youths in every barangay to serve as the barangay governments’ partner in identifying programs and projects in their respective communities and in identifying issues and concerns affecting them;
- To provide a framework for the improvement in youth governance by strengthening the Katipunan ng Kabataan as the mainstream government sponsored organization and reforming the Sangguniang Kabataan as the policy-making and legislative body of the organization;
- To provide the general directions in youth governance at the local level, setting policies and standards and establishing authorities, accountability and responsibility in achieving better performance outcomes;
- To define the roles and responsibilities of members of the Katipunan ng Kabataan and Sangguniang Kabataan officials and federation officers;
- To provide resources to the Sangguniang Kabataan and implement youth related programs and projects and other initiatives at the local level;
- To make the Katipunan ng Kabataan the most important vehicle for youth participation in the implementation of civic, economic and political activities in their respective localities and for the Sangguniang Kabataan as the training ground for future leaders of this country by inculcating in them basic social values and spiritual values; and
- To ensure that the youths receive the kind of focused attention from the national and local governments.
Qualifications and Disqualifications: Age Limit
Section X. Scope of Age Limit for Members and Candidates
(a) The voting members of the Katipunan ng Kabataan shall be 15 to 24 years old
(b) The candidate for any elective position in the Sangguniang Kabataan shall be between 18 to 24 years old
Fiscal Autonomy and Finance
Section X. Budget Preparation and Approval
Section X. Annual Financial Report
Governance of Sangguniang Kabataan Federations
Section X. Principles of Shared Governance (a) Shared governance is a principle which recognizes that officers in each Federation level has a particular role, tasks and responsibilities inherent in their respective position and for which they are accountable to the entire membership of the Federation while the members are responsible to take part and participate in all activities, programs and projects that the Federation may implement;
(b) The process of democratic consultation shall be observed in the decision-making process at all levels. Feedback mechanisms shall be established to ensure coordination and open communication between the national federation, local federations and barangay chapters;
(c) The principles of accountability and transparency shall be observed in the performance of functions and responsibilities of all officers in every federation at all levels; and
(d) The communication channels at all levels of the federation shall be strengthened to facilitate flow of information and expand linkages with other government agencies and non-government organizations concerned with concerned with the youth sector.
Roles of the National Federation
Section X. Roles of the National Federation. The roles of the national federation shall be:
(1) Formulating national policies on the operation of local federations, barangay chapters of the Katipunan ng Kabataan;
(2) Formulating a national operating standards for programs and projects of the Sangguniang Kabataan
(3) Formulating a national action plan for the various tasks assigned to the SK and KK
(4) Monitoring and assessing the over-all output nation-wide of programs and projects implemented by the Sangguning Kabataan officials and members of the Katipunan ng Kabataan;
(5) Undertake a research on how to improve the operations of the Katipunan ng Kabataan organization and conduct training on capacity-building of KK members and capability-building of SK officials and federation officers.
Katipunan ng Kabataan
Section X. Membership
(a) Membership in the Katipunan ng Kabataan shall come from the Kabataang Barangays who are bonafide residents of the barangay where he or she intends to vote and or run as candidate for any elective position in the Sangguniang Kabataan.
Section X. Continuous Registration and Delisting of Members
There shall be a continuous registration of members of the Katipunan ng Kabataan. Provided, that no registration of new members shall be allowed after the campaign period for Sangguniang Kabataan election has begun.
Provided, further, that registration and admission of new members shall only be allowed 30-days after the election.
Section X. Mandatory KK Assembly
There shall be a mandatory holding of KK Assembly at least twice a year.
Section X. Election of SK Officials
Section X. Subject to Annual Vote of Confidence
KK Assembly and SK Congress
Section X. KK Assembly. There shall be constituted an assembly of Kabataang Barangays who are members of the Katipunang ng Kabataan, gathered in a venue for the purpose, acting as a special body empowered to approve or disapprove reports of the Sangguniang Kabataan officials or vote on a no-confidence motion against the elected officers.
Section X. SK Congress. There shall be constituted a congress at the municipal and city level of Sangguniang Kabataan officials, gathered in a venue for the purpose, acting as a special body empowered to approve or disapprove reports of the SK Federation officers or vote on a no-confidence motion against an elected federation officer/s.
Meetings of Federation Officers
Section X. Conduct of Local Executive Committee Meetings. (a) The Local Executive Committee at the municipal, city, and provincial level federation and the National Executive Board shall hold monthly meetings to discuss issues and concerns affecting their respective federations.
(b) The schedule of meetings of municipal/city federation officers shall be every last Sunday of the month, without the necessity of giving due notice to all members. Provided, that the agenda of the meeting shall be available upon request by any concerned officer.
Annual Vote of Confidence
Section X. SK Officials Subject to Annual Vote of Confidence
Section X. Federation Officers Subject to Annual Vote of Confidence
Development Plan and Annual SK Budget
Section X. Procedures in the Formulation of Barangay Youth Development Plan. (a) The procedures in formulating Local Youth Development Plan in every Barangay shall be initiated by the Sangguniang Kabataan in cooperation with the Kabataang Barangay who are members of the Katipunan ng Kabataan.
(b) Every Sangguniang Kabataan shall formulate their respective development plan based on the following terms:
1. Short-term – within one (1) year upon assumption of their term
2. Medium-term – on the duration of their fixed term except term extension
3. Long-term – shall have a duration of five (5) years beginning from the start of the term
(c) The short-term, medium-term and the long-term Barangay Youth Development Plan shall harmonized be harmonized based on the schedule of priority development programs and projects of the Sangguniang Kabataan as approved and ratified by KK Assembly.
Section X. Annual SK Budget: Approval and Implementation
Section X. Mandatory Submission of Copies to All Levels of the Federation
Programs and Projects
Section X. Specific Programs
· Capacity training program for members of the Katipunan ng Kabataan
· Capability-building seminar for SK officials and federation officers
Section X. Specific Projects
· Environment etc.
Fixed Allotment in the GA
Section X. Appropriation in the General Appropriations Act
Section X. Allotment from Local Government Units’ Annual Budget: Mandatory Appropriation in the Municipal/City & Provincial Budget
Section X. Mandatory Remittance of Dues
Accreditation of SK Contractors by the Regional Councils
Section X. Accreditation of SK Contractors
Section X. Resident Ombudsman